NSD #8 - I survived 2 Field Camps
Sunday, September 29, 2013

The past 3 weeks has been the most interesting and the toughest part of my life yet. I really have no idea how I survived through it but here's the story of how one small thing can snow ball into a whole cluster fuck.

Background story
2-3 weeks ago, on the 8th of September, I embarked on a 8km journey with my company deep into the forests of Tekong for my Field Camp. After a grueling 4 days of discomfort, I decided to fall out at the end of FC because I felt like I was going to kiss the ground if I continued any further.

That little action caused me to miss my Situational Test. Something which I really didn't care for as it's an evaluation of your potential to lead others. I personally have no interest in becoming a commander. (it's a hassle)

Everything ended on the 13th (6days), and we managed to book out that night. Booked in on 15th, had our whole live range training for the next 4 days. 16th - 19th Sept. Started with simulation on the first day, then we had to adjust our rifle on the second day. On the evening of the second day (Tuesday 17th), my commanders suddenly informed me that I will have to redo my field camp with K Company.

Are you fucking kidding me. 

Turns out it wasn't a joke. Here's the logic.
To do Sit Test, you have to go through FC; because you have to be shagged.
I cannot just skip Sit Test, because I'm in the Leadership batch so I have to do it.
And... to do it I have to first do FC.

Hence, even though it's really unfair since I have already completed my entire FC, I simply have to suck it up and redo everything again.

Since this was a really last minute information, I haven't packed all my necessary items. All of my stuffs were in disarray. How was I supposed to know that I had to repack/replace everything that I have used for my FC last week?! I was seriously depressed and simply felt like the world has turned it's back against me. What was I to do? It's not as if I could disobey orders. Trying to get out of it by reporting sick will risk my chances of failing BMT and redo-ing two, or even four months. It's simply not worth the risk.

Because of this arrangement, I had to do my shooting test on Wednesday (the next day, 18th), instead of Thursday(19th). We even had transport for us to get back to our bunks earlier to pack everything. This is shit.

In short, I somehow managed to survive K Coy's FC. Which lasted from 19th(Thursday) ~ 23rd (Monday). Which means that my weekends are effectively gone and it's as if I got confined for the week. The level of shit feeling is really high here.

We came back on Monday late noon and proceeded to do whatever fuck shit that I really can't recall. Had IPPT on the next morning (Tuesday). Then we had combat training afterwards. Had to redo my Urban Ops on Wednesday 25th with K Coy again.

Thankyou to the boss of my company who had been fair and kind to us and repaid the 2.5 days of leave that has been taken away from us. This was the reason the few people who had to reFC booked out on the Thursday 26th morning until 27th night. Reason for booking in again is for BIC (something that simulates war). It's a summary exercise for what we have learnt in the past weeks. It was more tiring that I had expected.

Here you go, the reason why I had been gone for 3 weeks in a row. I simply did not have the time to sit down and write a proper post. Of course, this is just a summary of what has happened to me over the past couple weeks.

I shall split my FC experience into two other separate posts. I'll update the link when I'm done with it.

Mohawk FC Experience (not written)
Kestrel FC Experience (not written)

Labels: , , , , , ,